Created by: Carlton Cuse, Kerry Ehrin, Anthony Cipriano.
Starring: Vera Farmiga, Freddie Highmore, Max Thieriot, Olivia Cooke, Nestore Carbonell.


Bates Motel is the A&E Television programme that has taken over my life. Admittedly, I discovered this programme whilst on a 15 year olds Instagram (trying to remember what it's like to be 15) and I am so grateful I did.

I've had a television shaped hole inside me ever since I finished Breaking Bad, as nothing has ever quite filled the drama, panic attacks and grip that Jesse and Walter provided. Bates Motel has now filled the hole.

At first, I thought that this was a programme much like American Horror Story but was pleasantly surprised to find out it wasn't. This programme has so much depth in the characters, in the story, in the script and in the little town it's set in.

The show is based on the film 'Physco'. The main gist of the story is that a mother and her son move to a new town after her husband dies. They buy a motel and from then on the drama begins. The son suffers from blackouts where he does things that he never remembers and the mother tries to protect him from the after affects of them. That is all I can say without giving too much away but I feel like it's better to go into this show knowing nothing, as I did.



I think this is possibly one of the best written shows I've personally watched and it is definitely up there with Breaking Bad. The characters are so intriguing and have so much back-story yet likability. The story is always surprising and full of plot twists, that you literally have no idea are coming. Each episode keeps you hooked and you want to keep watching forever.

This is a programme that is definitely unlike many I've watched before and if you're into the drama/mystery/thriller genres then this is a show for you. With season 4 coming soon, you'll have plenty of time to catch up.