Created by: Nahnatchka Khan.
Starring: Constance Wu, Hudsan Yang, Randall Park, Ian Chen, Forrest Wheeler.


Fresh of the Boat is the American comedy centered around the lives of a chinese family who move from DC to Orlando.

I love everything about it. I love that there is finally some diversity on television. I don't think I've ever seen a programme based on an asian family on british television, let alone a comedy.

The show is an adaptation from the Fresh of the Boat book written by real life Eddie Huang (the main character in the show). It manages to be comedic without being racist, offensive or overly stereotypical.

What I love most though, is that there isn't any slapstick humour and if there is it's not prominent throughout the show. It has the kind of mature humour that I like which makes the show more enjoyable to watch.

I love all the characters in here. They're just so normal and not over-acted. The children are possibly my favourite as well they're super fricking cute for one and they making everything that much more funny.

The programme is set in the 90's which again makes the show that bit more relatable. I feel that when shows are based in the 80's/90's people tend to watch them more because it's nice to see what was and remember, which is exactly what this show makes you feel. Why I pointed out this timescale is because the programmes features hip/hop music throughout. We see the main character Eddie avidly listening to 2-Pac, Snoop Dogg, Beastie Boys, Biggie and more. This again makes the show that much more watchable and relatable. 

On the lines of hip-hop, something that always stands out to me, is that the theme tune is performed by Danny Brown which gives the show an extra 10 cool points (at least). 


Overall, I love the humour in this show, the cross-cultures that the show presents and the whole atmosphere that it produces. It reminds me a lot of The Goldbergs, which I just recently reviewed here. I would definitely recommend watching this programme as it is excellent family time television.