Directed by: Harmony Korine.
Starring: Ninja, Yo-Landi Visser.


Much like 'Trash Humpers', Umshini Wam (translated as 'bring me my machine gun') is the visuals of two siblings/friends/couple who are trying to gain respect as... whatever they are.

Realistically, there are no words to summarise this short film. If you know of Harmony Korines previous work and liked it, you are going to enjoy this. Similarly if enjoy rap-rave collective 'Die Antwoord', you will most definitely enjoy this too.

Harmony Korine is my all time favourite artist. His work is insane and I appreciate how different it is, yet at such a competent level. I first saw his work, when introduced by a former boyfriend to Kids (1995) and I was hooked. Umshini Wam came out in 2011 however I have only just heard about it, I have no idea how I missed this one. It's only 16 minuets long, but they are the most visual and imaginative 16 minuets.

Korines work is always so experimental in the colours he uses, the biggest example being 'Spring Breakers'. This is no exception. It uses a variety of pale yet electric colours that work well in the woodland and empty areas of grey and neutral land it is surrounded by.


The use of clothing is especially important in the image this film creates. The duo are seen wearing onsies which just tops off the quirky kind of crackhead aura. The props in Korine's movies are always on point also, you just kind of understand it and get why they have a certain thing or why it is there.

I always wonder when watching his films whether he actually plans the details of these things out. Everything comes together so prime, that I genuinely feel like it can't all have been planned.

When somebody creates a film like this, I can't flaw it and I can only applaud it. The director makes what they want and creates the image they want. I couldn't consider something wrong if it's their imagination and image. Art like this should be commended, as it takes a lot to create something completely original and different.

Harmony Korine is an amazing visual artist. His work you will love or hate and understand or not. I would recommend him everyday and advise you to just appreciate the pure form of art he provides the world with.