Directed by: Lena Dunham.
Starring: Lena Dunham, Jemima Kirke, Alex Karpovsky, Grace Dunham, Laurie Simmons.


Tiny Furniture is Lena Dunhams second feature film, which won her 3 out of 7 awards. Tiny Furniture follows the life of Aura (Lena Dunham), the newly graduated daughter of photographer, Siri (Laurie Simmons). We see her move back into her mothers home in the city, where she hangs around with new love interests and old friends.

Honestly, it took me a good 4/5 tries to watch this film, let alone get into it. I love Lena Dunham, I think her work ethic and creativity is inspirational however this film was definitely not for me.

I felt like this film was dull and dragging, I didn't connect with the characters, there was no real story I followed, there was no soundtrack and the colours were so just mentally draining, I just couldn't.

Lena Dunham is the creator of television show Girls, on HBO. Girls follows around a bunch of female friends in New York City and their love lives. I felt like Tiny Furniture was a prequel to Girls. Dunham used characters from there, such as Jessa (Jemima Kirke) and Ray (Alex Karpovsky) which after watching Girls first, felt like I already knew them in a different character.

The cast was actually mostly made up of most of her family and friends, if not all, which is unique to see, as they are all so talented. The acting wasn't anything special, there were no emotions, no great lines and it was all a bit bland. The only character I really got anything from was Grace Dunham who plays Nadine, she was very honest and true to character in the film.

The story-line from the poster suggests that this about a girl going through some stuff but I feel like I didn't get that from the film at all. I feel like it was a bit narcissistic and a pitiful journal entry.
Along side the posters suggestive themes. The name of the film I didn't really understand. I get that the mother is a photographer and she was using tiny furniture but I didn't see the importance of it, to name the whole film after it; besides it being slightly quirky.


The actual shooting and editing of this film, also wasn't anything I would remember for more than a day. I don't feel like there were any exceptional shot types and movements. I don't feel like there was any attention to detail in the settings and layout. I don't feel like the colouring was at all tampered with. Essentially I do feel like Lena Dunham just got her camera and filmed her New York City life.

If you were a film student, I suggest watching this film, otherwise I wouldn't. I just didn't connect, it wasn't relatable and although it wasn't terrible, I could have lived without watching this film. Saying that, these are my opinions only and the film did win awards and she got a television show out of it, so maybe it's just me. Lena Dunham is one of my favourite people and I do think I only watched this because of that and the fact it had Jemima Kirke in it, who is like my Jesus; her other work is of much better quality and you should definitely look into that instead.