Directed by: Bertie Gilbert.
Starring: Bertie Gilbert and Archie Redford.


Bertie Gilbert is an exceptional 17 year old film-maker and YouTuber. Having been following Bertie for a number of years now, seeing the depth that this talented boy has grown, in both his film-making and as a person, is astonishing. He is, very clearly, heavily inspired by Wes Anderson it would seem but he definitely manages to add his own personality into the products he creates. His latest piece, as he says himself, is a "definite advance for (him) as a director" and I could not agree more.

Tick Where It Hurts is a short film based around a musical duo/brothers where tragically one ends up committing suicide, leaving the other terribly depressed and unknowing of what to do. The film shows both the utter weakness and strength that a person has inside of themselves however this ultimately, is a truly uplifting piece of work.

I always feel that what makes a film great, is when you want to live in the world they have created. For me, what Bertie has created is a place where I wish I could have been born into. The use of colours in this piece is so complimentary to the story and the characters whole stereotype.
Considering this is an independent film, the use of locations he has to work with and the furnishings alongside the props, could easily fool you into thinking this was a budgeted film.

The only real flaw I could find in this work was that I couldn't really figure out the year that it was meant to be set. The whole set-up being very modern, with apple technologies etc, made me, obviously, think it was set in the present or even slightly further into the future however the settings and style of it all made me feel like it could be set in the 70's or so. Some context to be given here, would have been better however not all that important to the story. It was a very vintage looking piece and I do feel that this aesthetic did work in his favour.

Bertie Gilbert is going to be one to watch out for in the future, not only is he hugely inspiring but he is also ridiculously talented. He somewhat reminds me of a younger, male, Lena Dunham, with his drive, personality and abilities. Overall this was a extremely enjoyable short-film to watch and I highly recommend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCNwZp1VNaw