Directed by: Quentin Tarantino.
Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russell, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tim Roth, Walton Goggins, Michael Madsen, Channing Tatum.


The Hateful Eight is the eighth Tarantino movie to be made. It follows a bounty hunter and his prisoner as they travel through the Wyoming winter to a cabin. On their way there they meet some very interesting characters.

Tarantino is a marmite director for sure. Growing up, I was never really a fan of Tarantino but as I've grown older and studied film more, I've realised how golden his films are and how golden he is as an auteur. His films are created in such a genius way which differ from the traditional and linear movie types. Whether or not you like him as a person (I'm not too much of a fan) you cannot deny that the man can make a good film and The Hateful Eight only proves this more.

The most prominent thing I took home from this movie was the soundtrack. I walked into the cinema late for my date and entered as Apple Blossom - The White Stripes was playing to a scene of a snow covered woods. It was the perfect moment and it added so much more to the film for me. The western vibes mixed with the soft acoustic sounds all partnered each other beautifully and complimented the film in every way.



Cinematography was such a huge point to me in this film. It was like every scene I was hypnotised by the shots, the colours and the angles. The shots of the neverending woods, where the strong white snow background would be brought out by the powerful reds and yellows in the characters clothing were unreal. The shots also manage to capture so much emotion and panned perfectly in time with the characters movements which made the film become something else

Just like most other Tarantino movies, the storyline was non-linear, violent, dramatic and comedic. I don't know how he does it but he made a 3 hour film seem like a standard runtime. The story was so captivating that even without the interval I was still hooked. Much like Pulp Fiction, once you know the story it's kind of not the same anymore, so I won't say anymore on that.



The characters however were outstanding. They each brought something new to the screen and their chemistry was insane. The acting in this film was unlike I have seen before. It's not as though the film was deadly serious but they still managed to pour a lot of emotion and personality into their characters which again, brought the film to new levels.

Overall, Tarantino delivered yet another masterpiece that I'm sure will take home many awards. It had all the elements of a great film and even though it easily shifted from serious to is this a joke, real quick, it all worked wonderfully. I definitely fell in love with this movie and would highly recommend it.