Created by: Tom Bidwell, George Kay.
Starring: Sharon Rooney, Claire Rushbrook, Ian Hart, Nico Mirallegro, Jodie Comer.


My Mad Fat Diary, follows Rae Earl (Sharon Rooney) as she faces the troubles of being a self-harming teenager in the 90's, with an eating disorder. We see her balance her relationship with friends, food, boys and her therapist.

E4 original programmes never seem to let me down, just take a look at Skins and Misfits. They always seem to create shows that show what it's really like to be a teenager and british and My Mad Fat Diary is no exception.

I find it quite rare to see a show or film that discusses... eating disorders at all, but especially one that uses a bigger girl as the protagonist and one where the eating disorder isn't anorexia. It was also refreshing to see the other side effects of eating disorders such as the self-harm and anxiety that comes along with it. 

The show itself is comedic which I loved, considering the show is based on such a serious topic. I loved seeing the relationship Rae has with her friends and the way the show really encapsulates being a teenager, especially in the 90's. I found the show to be very nostalgic and a true portrayal of indie kids in England back then.



The characters all work together really well and it's as if you're watching genuine friends. I wouldn't say the acting is anything special but Sharon Rooney definitely deserves some awards. I find her performance so brave and I love how she can make her character go from witty to emotional real quick.

Again, like all E4 originals, the cinematography is amazing. The hazy filters paired with the excellently chosen soundtrack all comes together to make a uniquely beautiful show which definitely compliments the 90's setting in every way. I especially liked the use of illustrations on screen as it really added something else to show and maybe made it seem more relatable to the younger audience it reaches.

Overall, My Mad Fat Diary is a great programme. It's more of what we need on television, the honesty and the reality of teenagers and issues. It was a great show in the way that brought awareness to issues such as eating disorders and self-harm as well as relationships and peer pressure. For the youth of today it's definitely a show they watch.