Directed by: John McKay.
Starring: Karen Gillian, Stanley Weber, Iain De Caestecker, Freya Mavor, Amy Manson.


Not Another Happy Ending follows writer Jane Lockhart (Karen Gillian) through her first book deal. With writers block, love and tragedy we see if she can ever finish the sequel.

Whilst flicking through my Netflix suggestions one day, this little film caught my eye. British indie films are my favourite kind of film (although this one was set and filmed in Glasgow but you know what I mean).

Essentially, the plot had good intentions but there was just too much going on. It was hard to focus on what the film was actually about. It was like three people took the script and made their own versions then combined them. It also made the film feel longer than it actually is which is something I don't think is good in a film.

Whilst the acting wasn't bad, I think the characters were over dramatic and their personalities were to forced. The film was trying to hard to be hipster and it didn't improve the film anyway. Although they were comedic at time, I also feel that it was also forced and didn't do the film any favours.



One thing that was a positive take-away from Not Another Happy Ending, was the cinematography and location. Pretty much everything about Scotland is beautiful, so it was always going to be a beautiful backdrop for this and any film. Even though the cinematography wasn't anything spectacular, it still gave the film some substance. The colours definitely stood out me as i vividly remember them working amazing aesthetically with Karen Gillian's ginger hair, as well as the clothing choices. 

Beside the above, there wasn't much good to take away from the film. It was boring and more confusing than it needed to be. If you striped away the quirky clothing, the props, the sets and just had a troubled writer in Glasgow it would have been a much more beautiful film.

Overall, I wouldn't really rate this film nor recommend it. I think it was perhaps trying to be a bit like Ruby Sparks with the aesthetic and the plot or maybe it's just a coincidence. Either way, I would definitely suggest watching Ruby Sparks over Not Another Happy Ending.