Created by: Lee Daniels, Danny Strong.
Starring: Jussie Smollett, Taraji P, Henson, Terrence Howard, Trai Byers,


Empire is the series which looks into the life of Lucious Lyon, the hip-hop mogul who now owns his own entertainment company, which is a multi-million dollar business. We see the struggles his faces with his health, his business, his family and his past.

Empire is so good. It's not a programme that I feel like I need to watch, as in I literally cannot miss an episode, I have to watch it right now but it's almost there. It's very interesting to see how this businessman made his company and earned his millions as well as seeing how far he'll go to keep it, whether that means losing his family on the way or not.

I said about the television show Power in a review the other day, that I love that television is showing more diversity and there are more shows with black leads and casts being produced. Empire is different in a way though because it also tackles issues.Throughout the series we see Lucious suffer with ALS, his son suffer with bipolar disorder, the issue in hip-hop/families with homophobia and the usual relationships etc. I think it's great that Empire has chosen to do this as now the black community can have someone to relate to and identify with rather the normal white casts. This show also attracts the youth so I feel as though it's great for them to learn about these subjects.


The storyline in Empire is good. I don't feel gripped like I am with other shows but I do find myself invested in the characters. I don't find the show relatable because of the wealth and lifestyle the family lives so it loses points for me there. But I guess you're not supposed to find this show relatable, you're meant to want that life and lust after it. I find the whole show a bit too over-exaggerated however. I also find the plots to be at times a twist but mostly predictable.

The characters are all very different which makes you love some (only a few) of them and dislike the rest. There is a lot of clashing of personalities in this programme and that makes some of the characters turn into a different person then they originally were. One person who I love, although disliked at first, is Cookie played by Taraji P.Henson who got nominated for an emmy with her performance in this show.

Overall the show is very pleasant to watch. I appreciate the guess stars that they often have such as Mary J. Blige and Estelle. I love that the show is bringing hip/hop culture back to the television  (but most likely laptop) screen.

If you ever find that Empire is on then give a watch and you'll most likely want to watch more.