Directed by: Sam Esmail.
Starring: Justin Long, Emmy Rossum.


Comet, is the story of boy meets girl. But the boy doesn't believe in love and the girl does. So, obviously, they start a 6 year relationship to test each others theories.

It has been such a long time since a film has affected me in a way that reminds me why I love films. With films like Submarine and Candy only coming out only every couple of years, I feel as though this is the latest one of those films.

Comet was a mixture between 500 Days of Summer (2009) and The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004). It was a love story that was raw and true to life but it had elements of flash backs, non-linear and non-logical time narratives.

At first, I didn't think I would like the film. It didn't feel like a film, it didn't feel like a television show, it felt weird but it felt good. It was unique and honest. The story was mostly realistic, there were no ridiculous gimmicks. It showed love as love is; horrible, messy and only ever really good at the beginning. It also showed how important love is to a person and the affect love can have on a person and the way it can change them.

Along with the story, I feel as though the characters really brought the film to life. The acting and emotions that both Justin Long and Emmy Rossum portrayed were so, again, raw and honest. They were realistic and relatable. There was no big plot or eccentricity or at least not enough to ruin the story. They were very normal and human which I think is something that is happening more and more in films and is something that works excellent as it makes the film or show more believable.



There were very few settings, which again seems to be a common theme in the films being produced recently. The settings that were involved though and the cinematography conducted around the locations were visually stunning. The lighting and the fades made the scenes match the emotions and brought new elements to the film.

At times it was hard to understand what was going on and took a while to fully understand what was reality or the past and future. I still don't fully know. I kind of ended up viewing each scene individually. The film could come across as quite one dimensional as there are only two characters really involved and there isn't much character profile at all.

One thing that I found I was really disappointed by, especially for a film made in 2014, was that there were eating disorder and rape jokes made. There was also use of the word retarded, which is something that I personally hate to be used. I felt like the film lost a lot of respect from me for that and it's something that could have easily been avoided and taken out.

Overall, Comet was a film that I would happily watch over and over again. The majority of the film was on point and I feel like it has the potential to become huge in the indie culture.