As much as I love my bands and albums, you can't always be too sure that something is going to be good. A band or artist may be amazing but create a terrible album -cough* Kanye *cough-. That's why I prefer to listen to individual tracks, especially those found on SoundCloud created by independent artists. Something I've also been finding myself doing a lot this year, is listening to film soundtracks and finding music that way.

So... here are my top tracks of 2014. A list that consists of songs from this year, last year, 50 years ago, the famous and un-famous and some you may recognize from films. In no particular order.

Higher - SBTKRT.
My love for SBTKRT is undeniable. Their whole album is faultless. Higher, however has to be one of my favourite tracks on the album, next to New Dorp, New York. If you haven't heard of SBTKRT by now, then I don't know where you have been.



A Real Hero - College, Electric Youth.
This one is from the Drive film soundtrack. The whole soundtrack for that film was so unique and edgy but this song, over them all won for me. It's the perfect song to drive around to at 2am, on a misty, winter night. I imagine that in summer it's even better.



Impersonator - Magical Cloudz.
It was actually much like fate that I became a fan of this duo. I had a cut out on my university wall from the magazine CRACK, with these two on. Little did I know I was actually already listening to them when randomly finding them. Since then they have become one of my favourite musicians and their songs are everything to me. If I had to choose a 'band?' to summarize myself, this would probably be it. Impersonator is my favourite song, due to it's lyrical content and the production of the track.



Seventeen - Youth Lagoon.
This song got me through a lot this year. Youth Lagoon are much like Daughter and Birdy. Their songs are very floaty, dreamy, nostalgic and innocent. I remember playing this song and only this song on 3 hour journeys to and from London. It reminds of white dresses and flower crowns. Just listen to it.



Baby - Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti.
I'm a huge follower of montage YouTube videos, much like the ones I make myself. When watching one by NikkiBrigid on YT I found this track playing and have been obsessed every since. It's the most beautiful summer-love, driving song.



Let's Go Surfing - The Drums.
A song that got me through a summer stuck in Birmingham when I had to move home from London. Flawless in every way possible.



Cadillac Girl - Only Real.
I'm not ashamed to say that I found this song whilst watching an episode of Made in Chelsea one day and hunted it down. Only Real hasn't produced much music yet or got much of a following but he soon will have. Very LA vibes combined with a very British accent. Love it.



Hey Doctor - Bedroom Noises.
I found this when I was going through a rough time at the start of summer. I'm not sure if the artists name that he goes by is actually Bedroom Noises; as I know him as Jordan on Tumblr (http://hundredhaikus.tumblr.com/). All of the music he makes resonates with me and is so on point in every way. I don't think I'll ever tire of listening to him on nights where I drunkenly stumble around London, trying to get home.




Eyes Off You - Bombay Bicycle Club.
Bombay Bicycle Club have been a favourite of mine for most my teenage life. With their new album drop, Eyes Off You quickly became a favourite and paired with the aforementioned Let's Go Surfing, it contrasted so well to me.

 
Sugar Man - Rodriguez.
My mother actually introduced me to this song. She came over to my house one day and made me find this guy called Rodriguez and listen to all his music. This one in particular she loved. At first, I thought this was a very famous song because it was very familiar to me; then I realised it's from my favourite movie Candy (2006). A quite jazzy, song about cocaine and drugs? can't go wrong.



Baby Blue - Martina Topley Bird.
I first discovered Martina, when listening to a playlist on spotify by The Weeknd which showed the songs he sampled from to create his albums. One in particular stood out to me which was Sandpaper Kisses that he used for The Birds Pt2. Ever since I've been listening to her music non-stop. She has such a soulful voice and is very unique in her music and her performance. Baby Blue is my personal favourite but I'll throw in Sandpaper Kisses too.





Runaway - Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs.
This year, I have rediscovered my love for the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs. The songs Maps, has been going around like crazy on my Tumblr dashboard but I feel like that's because Runaway is so underrated and not heard. A deep lyrics song to a simple beat = perfect.



Your Love V2 - Wilough.
Willow and Jayden Smith, took me by surprise this year. With Jaydens - Fast and Willow with pretty much everything, you can tell that they're gonna be bigger and better in 2015.
Your Love V2, has such good vocals and is put together in a way that I haven't heard in a long time.




Mi Lost - The Bug, Miss Red.
I love The Bug, ever since I heard him on Skins. I recently found  him again and found this gem. I don't know what it is about this song but it has the perfect house party vibe to make everyone smoke some and get drunk.

 
Bruises - Chairlift.
I feel as though, this song was everywhere this year but nobody actually knew who it was by. This song is just so uplifting but deep at the same time. Lyrically good and put onto a happy melancholy tune.



5FT7 - Tonstartssbandht.
From the film Palo Alto, where the soundtrack was almost as good as the film. A very trippy and mellow vibe put to harmonic voicing.



Truth - Alexander.
Whilst trying to find everything created ever by Dead Mans Bones, Ryan Goslings band; Spotify suggested this artist to me and I am forever grateful. I get a very Hozier vibe from this guy and it's amazing.



She Doesn't Mind - Cosmo Jarvis.
A very similar vibe to that of Kid British, which explains my love for Jarvis. A comical song to a catchy beat with a British accent which is always a plus.



Step - Vampire Weekend ft Danny Brown, Heems & Despot.
Vampire Weekend? Great. Danny Brown? Great. Heems? Great. The combination of two rappers on an indie track? Beyond Great.
I feel like I heard this song on Girls but that could be so wrong and I could have heard this whilst stalking Heems from Das Racist but he's a babe. Regardless, this a song that put me in a 'get up and go' mood all spring.



Fernando Pando - The Virgins.
I think this is another find I owe to Spotify radio. This song and the whole band reminds of The Libertines and Pete Doherty. Basically, if you're into that vibe, then you should like this (if you don't already know it).


Go Outside - Cults.
All I can remember of this song, is listening to it in parks and when I was too sad to get out of bed and then managing to when this came on. A very cheerful and mellow song.