Created by: Lauren Iungerich.
Starring: Ashley Rickards, Beau Mirchoff, Jillian Rose Reed, Brett Davern, Molly Tarlov, Desi Lydic.


Awkward is the MTV, American television show centered around the lives of a group of teenagers living in the suburbs.

I first found Awkward, when googling 'shows similar to Gossip Girl' and ever since I was hooked. I definitely would not call it Gossip Girl like at all, but I can see how one would think that. I imagine it as a modern day version of Freaks and Geeks.

Awkward, is your typical 'american teenager' sitcom. Full of teenager issues, house parties, sex, drugs and relationships. For a teenager show however, I feel like this is a very tamed programme, in comparison to the British teenage shows, such as Skins.
The show is very humerus yet predictable. Me and my friend like to play a drinking game when watching this programme, where we guess whats going to happen and if we guess right we drink; we get very drunk.

The series is mildly offensive, which at times, I personally found difficult to put up with, with jokes aimed around eating disorders, suicide and homosexuality. It's not a programme I would recommend someone younger than 15 years old watching, purely due to the affects it may have on them and the desensitising of the issues; however if I was 15 years old again, I know I would have loved and understood this show. Although the series is flawed in this way, the latter series do give some decent advice and cut back on the offensive nature.

The characters in this are your somewhat, modern day typical, teenagers. With a twist on the 'popular guy' not being a douchebag and abusing his looks. The characters are all very easy enjoyable and some relatable, with the odd few that you just wish would leave.

The acting is actually fairly decent and in comparison to programmes like 'Victorious' or 'Zoey 101', which I feel are in the similar bracket, the acting is amazing. They actors make the characters seem real and genuine, they make you take an actual interest in their characters lives.

Something that always draws me into programmes, is the lighting. Awkward, probably does not use natural lightning however they do create the effect of daylight. Cougar Town is a programme that also uses this type of lighting and it always draws me back in to watch another episode, because the bright lightning makes me feel happier and as if I'm outside in summer. For this reason, the lighting always makes me happy to watch.

Overall, Awkward is a funny and lovable programme. The only downside for me, is the offensive nature that was in the first seasons but it generally has everything you need to make a good show. Awkwards been around for many years now, however if you're like me who only recently gave into it, then I would advise you to consider giving the show a watch.